Remember West Side Story? Love the song. . . the movie. . . not so much! Anyway, it fits with today’s tip.
Do something to feel pretty today!
My grandmother used to say, “Pretty is as pretty does.”
I think pretty is an attitude. Some of the prettiest little girls I’ve seen have upturned noses, a sprinkling of freckles, missing teeth, and tangled hair! Where is the pretty coming from? It’s pure attitude. . . personality with a capital P!
My husband told me one time that he liked my hair best the way it looked when I first got up in the morning. . . how can you ever trust the compliments of a man like that :)?
Recently he told me that he likes all the extra me there is to hold and love these days. . . really? So is he just a chronic liar? Or is he telling the truth?
Well, if he’s lying. . . he can just keep right on, because I like feeling pretty to him!
Women, face it. We have a different pretty-0-meter than our husband. We think we have to be the perfect weight, have our hair just right, smell oh so sweet, have a cute outfit. . . (we dress for other women, not necessarily our husband — if all women got together and made a pact to never wear make-up or do our hair, the men might not even notice!!! And neither would we, as long as we all kept our word!)
May I suggest to you that your husband might rather have you nice than pretty. He’d rather have you sweet than sweet-smelling. He’d rather have you cheerfully chubby than crabbily calorie counting. But the trick is attitude. You can’t be crabbily chubby, odoriferously ornery, and unattractively annoying. That’s completely unfair to everyone!
Today, find something that makes you feel pretty:
- Run up and down the stairs a few times and call it aerobics
- Take a few minutes and apply some blush and lip gloss
- Plop on a jaunty hat
- Or just look in the mirror and quote Psalm 139:14, “I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.”
The trick is not in changing your outward appearance too much, but in changing the inner attitude that will follow suit with the outward.
If you feel pretty on the inside, the glow shows on the outside; a countenance of contentment shines through, and your personality permeates!
So, go get pretty!
I feel stunning and entrancing. Feel like running and dancing for joy. For I’m loved by a pretty wonderful boy! -(West Side Story)
Feeling pretty creative? Try one of the following:
- When do you feel prettiest?
- Is it possible to capture that same pretty-ful attitude even when you’re not all dressed up? Try it sometime before you’ve showered, or brushed your teeth, or combed your hair; approach your husband with confidence and a perky and pretty attitude — and see what happens!
- The admiration of our man can make us feel beautiful. Try to capture his admiration with your attitude, and see what happens!