We all long for a knight in shining armor to protect us, to defend our honor, to sweep us off our feet with his adoration and love. . . If you’re concerned that maybe you ended up with the twisted squire disguised in shining armor instead. . . be patient; there is a knight buried deep within, and your love can help him become the knight he truly wants to be!
Some practical Steps to Stand Firm in the fight for your Marriage
- Stand with courage; don’t flee (Ephesians 6:11)
- Resist evil. (James 4:7)
- Quench attacks through faith (Ephesians 6:16)
- Put on protective armor (Ephesians 6:11-18)
- Attack with the word of God (Ephesians 6:17)
- Be strong in the Lord and in the power of his might. Ephesians 6:10
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. II Corinthians 10:3-4
There is a battle, and it is for your heart and your children. You must be vigilant to recognize and fight the real enemy. In the power of God’s strength, you have His will on your side.
- Tear down the strongholds.
- Quench the fiery darts of the dragon of despair and defeat through faith in the promises of God.
- Stand firm in the face of attack.
- Resist the temptation to give in and flee.
- Intentionally put on the protective armor of preparation for the battle.
- Speak the promises of God to your family, remind yourself, never stop uttering the faith-building words of God in your home — shout them out in a clarion battle cry.
I don’t know how long you have been battling the enemy, defending your fortress, beaten down with despair, frightened by the intimidation of the cruel facts of pain and misery, but there is a power at work to bring you hope and a future.
It might look dark and gloomy, but the Son is ready to rise in your heart and bring you help in this battle. Keep standing. Keep resisting. Keep fighting. Stand your ground and don’t give up. Joy and victory comes in the morning.
I’m praying for your marriages, and for you.
Need some more ammunition?
- Read Malachi 2:16. Why does God hate divorce? God hates divorce because it closes the door on His great power to restore and redeem, and instead gives power to the enemy to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10).
- God is our defense, Call on the name of the Lord (Psalm 116:4).
- He is a strong tower (Psalm 61:3).
- He is a present help in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1).
- He will not allow you to suffer defeat (Isaiah 54:4).
- He is the lifter of your head.
- He is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
- He is on your side.
- If God be for us, who can be against us (Romans 8:31)?
Would you pray this prayer for other hurting wives:
God help us fight for our marriages. God open our eyes to the truth of your word. God help us to see the real enemy. God help the woman crying in the dark. God help the confused children helplessly watching their family crumble, wondering if there is something they can do to stop it. . . feeling the pain of rejection and abandon. God open the eyes of the selfish, stubborn man, who is reacting to the pain of his sinful reflection, the images in the mirror that multiply back revealing untold generations of cursed self-will. God help the woman who is tired of fighting what seems to be a losing battle, wondering if she’d be happier with someone who appreciates, cherishes and values her. God help us all.