“Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.” I Peter 3:1-2 NIV
What same way?
Well, we have to go back and read chapter 2, verses 21-25 to find out. The rest of this post will wait if you want to go read that right now!!
In the same way. . . as Jesus. . .
- Unjust accusations
- Silence in the face of rebuke
- Punishment, undeserved
- All things precious held up to ridicule
- The real me. . . rejected
- Despised by the defiled
- Tainted by the touch of sinners
- Repulsed by rebellious hearts
He identified with us in His suffering.
Can we identify with Him in our suffering?
Can we be silent in the face of insurmountable evil?
Can we endure the betrayal of the kiss of a friend?
Is it worth it to suffer, if salvation is at stake?
Can we lay aside our wants and needs in order to seek the salvation and spiritual maturity of our husband?
If a wife served her husband in love for sixty years, before his eyes were opened to the love and salvation of Christ. . . would it be worth the cost?
Can you embrace In the Same Way‘?
Can your silence win without words?
Yes — oh — yes!
Your marriage tip for today is a principle that works for husbands who submit to the headship of Christ, and for those who reject and live in rebellion to all things spiritual.
Pray about the wisdom of these inspired scriptures in I Peter 2 & 3, and how they might become real in your marriage. If you need more info, check out the book, ‘Won Without Words‘.
- In the same way, refers to the principle of laying aside our rights, so that a greater principle of love might prevail. And yet it feels so unfair. Feel free to journal the pain, the frustration, the unfairness of it all. . . then read all the but loves! (Matthew 5:44, Luke 6:27, Luke 6:35, Luke 7:47, John 3:16, John 14:31, Romans 5:8, Romans 12:19, Romans 13:8, Galatians 2:20, Galatians 5:13, Galatians 5:22, Ephesians 2:4, Ephesians 4:15, I Thess 4:9, II Tim 1:7, I John 2:5, I John 3:18, I John 4:10, 11, 18)
- Write I John 4:10-11 in your journal!
Shared with friends at: